Hi! You’ve just finished packing your moving boxes and checking off the last of your Christmas presents. It’s time to take a minute for yourself and start looking for what you’ll need for your new home.
Not sure where to start? Check out this massive list of gifts that will make any move easy and fun!
1. A Moving Box
For those who have never packed anything, have no fear; a moving box can be a perfect place to start! Store all your valuables in the box until you move, so they’re safe from damage or theft by other people or animals.
2. Grid-It Pack Organizer
- This is an excellent gift for someone who likes to pack their stuff in the order they want in the car. The packs can be rearranged so they can quickly put things where they want them at their new home! A great organizational tool!
- To get a good deal, try getting this organizer on sale! It will be cheaper than if you got it somewhere like Target or Walmart, and it’s still high quality.
3. 2 inch x 2 inch Bubble Pack
Bubble wrap is a must-have for any moving situation. It’s lightweight and durable, so that it can be used many times over. It’s a great way to prevent breakage and damage during the move and can be used as an extra layer of protection over fragile items like dishes.
- It is essential to have glue tape when you move! If you’re packing with a friend, it will make your job a lot easier! If you have any bubble-wrapped items or essential things that might get damaged in the move, ensure they are secure with some tape. Some different types of tape, such as duct tape, cellophane tape or scotch tape, may work better for you.
- If you’re buying tape, look for a brand you know and trust. Scotch, 3M, and Duct Tape are all trusted brands. They also have different types of tape, so you can find one that works best for what you need it for!
- For some people, it may be easier to buy a big roll at their local hardware store than spend money on buying small rolls or magazine sizes.
5. A Copy of Your Drivers License
Keeping a copy of your driver’s license at your new place is recommended because the movers may not have enough room in the truck to transport all these valuables. It is also easy to lose things like that during the move.
Pens are a good thing to have on hand when unpacking! If you want to label your boxes or draw something on your new walls, it’s nice to have a pen handy.
It is best to keep these with you in the car during the move just in case anything happens like your dog gets cold or there’s a breakdown in the move. Blankets are a must if you want to live off the grid in your new place!
8. First Aid
It’s best to keep some first aid kits in the car and your home because you never know when they will come in handy. It’s also a good idea to have a few on hand during the move if anything goes wrong. I had to use mine recently when my finger got stuck on my door, which ripped the skin off. Blisters are also ordinary for people who are moving since your hands get tired so quickly from carrying heavy things upstairs and whatnot.
9. A Stash of Packing Peanuts
This is a cute idea to keep around so you and your family can have a little fun while packing. It adds excitement to the process and helps keep your mind off things. Just try not to use them for food, or you’ll be in trouble when the movers come.
10. A Good Feel of Home
You will be far away from this place for a very long time, so it’s nice to take a good look at your home before you leave. There might be something you can change to make the place feel less impersonal.
It’s nice to take a few pictures of your new home and show them to friends and family. This is a good reminder that the move will eventually be over, and you can start enjoying your new home!
12. A Good Book!
If you’re getting a Kindle or another e-reader, consider getting one or two books that are good for living in your new home! Things like The Walking Dead, Harry Potter and The Lord of The Rings series are great because if you get in trouble with anything, there’s nothing worse than being bored at night (or day).
13. Moving Sale Box
- This box is great for any last-minute things you forgot to pack! If you have extra stuff around the house, store it in this box before moving.
- The box can also be used to store your stuff when you get to your new place until you have time to unpack. Make sure you label it!
- If you’re in a house with a washer and dryer, you can use this box as a laundry hamper, so your clothes don’t end up on the closet floor.
14. Washing Machine Pods
- These are essential if you don’t have time or space for a regular washing machine in your new home. Just pop these in, and your laundry will be fresh and clean!
- The pods have lids you can use to store your dirty clothes for washing later.
- This is also an excellent time to buy a few extra packs of detergent so you don’t run out when using the washing machine.
- The pods come in different sizes depending on how much laundry you do at a time. Try getting small ones if you do a lot, so it doesn’t take up too much space.
15. Laundry Basket
- If you choose to get a smaller pack of pods, you will need a laundry basket to carry them! You will run into this quickly if you have to move far away from your washer and dryer.
- It’s nice to be able to hang the dirty clothes up or put them on the floor, so they don’t get wrinkled during the move.
- You could also use this for other small items, so it’s good quality for your money!
16. Gas Cards
- You will have to stop at the gas station with a long-distance move, so it’s a good idea to keep a few gas cards on hand! If you forget or run out of gas, you won’t have to worry about being stranded!
- These cards can be given to friends and family members if they want to help with the move. Just make sure they don’t lose them, though!
17. Funky Packing Tape
- This tape is used when you are packing heavy items together. It can hold some pretty heavy objects together, making moving them around more accessible.
- It’s a good idea to have a roll of this tape just in case you need to move something heavy.
- If you are using four fingers, then you can use the funky tape to help hold things together and make it easier to move. Use this tape as packing guidelines if you have trouble finding the correct squares to fill your boxes!
- The tape comes in different colors so you can tell them apart quickly, without confusion.
- There are also different kinds of tapes that may work better for what you want the tape for. Look around for ones that will work better for your needs, and get one with a longer piece that fits more objects!
18. Batteries for Flashlights
- If you are moving to an area where the power will be out for a long time, keep a set or two batteries for your flashlights!
- You will want to keep the flashlight in the car during the move because you never know when you might need it.
- It’s also handy to keep one in your room if there’s a blackout or storm.
19. Masking Tape
- This tape is helpful if you run into trouble and need 911 to help you out. This can be used in many ways and hold things together if you don’t want to use funky tape.
- It’s also good to keep one or two rolls with you just in case you need them for something that isn’t packing-related!
20. Children’s Books
This is an excellent idea for children of all ages because they like hearing about things happening around them. It helps them to understand what’s going on, plus who doesn’t like an occasional story?
21. A Cool Mirror
- A mirror can be helpful when you have trouble seeing or something is in your way during the move. It can help to see things clearly, and it’s a good time to check where everything is in your new home!
- If you use the mirror a lot, get one surrounded by a frame, so it’s more secure. It won’t damage the mirror if someone bumps into it while moving.
22. Clean Towels
You will probably have dirty hands and faces during the move, so keep some cleaning towels! They can be used to clean off your face after working outside or to dry your hands off when they are sweaty!
23. A Picture Frame
- This is a good idea if you have essential photos of friends and family who aren’t coming with you. You can add some of their photos to the frame, so they are visible to others and will look lovely in your new home.
- This can also be used with children’s artwork. A picture frame is an excellent way to show off their fabulous creations!
24. Maps and Directions
- If you are moving a long distance, having maps of where you are going will help you when you need help! It also helps if you’re lost and don’t know where something is.
- It’s also a good idea to keep track of mileage logged on the road or how many miles around your house there are. Knowing this will make it easier when putting items where they belong.
- It’s common to have a GPS in your car, especially if it has satellite capabilities. This can also be used to find your way around your new home!
25. A Journal/Diary
Keep a journal about the people coming with you and any funny things that happened during the move. It may be a good idea to write down what items you need from home when you move because the things will probably end up being misplaced.
26. Ceramic Cookies or Brownies
- These are good to bring with you when you move because they are easy to throw in a bag and taste delicious. They also help to keep you from getting hungry while driving!
- It’s a good idea to keep some healthy snacks with you, so remember to pack some fruits and vegetables into your moving bags!
27. Baby Food Pouches
- The baby food pouches are great for feeding your little one when you’re on the road! You add them to the water, and away they go!
- This can also be used for other small foods that don’t need refrigeration. Some people like adding them to their soups and other dishes.
- It’s always a good idea to bring some diapers with you in an emergency.
28. Trail Mix and Protein Bars
These are good to eat when you are out of the house and need something fast. They are full of nutrients that keep you from getting hungry, especially when moving!
29. A Journal or Diary
This is good for keeping track of your feelings about the move, your new house and going around town to find things for your new home! It will help you stay organized, which is very important during a long-distance move.
By reading through this list, you can see that there are many things you must consider when preparing for a move. The following is a list of tips to help you take away from this article and apply these tips to your move. Remember to always have an exit strategy in place before starting the move. You should not be afraid to change or postpone the move if conditions become unfavourable or if there is a problem with your chosen vehicle making a move.
What do you think?